Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Allow Me To Introduce Myself

My name is Christia. I have always struggled with my weight. Always thought I was too fat, too wide, too this, too that. After the birth of my third son, Owen- he’s 4, I decided to start running. My dad has run his first marathon and I thought, If he can run a full marathon, I can start running too. So, I did. I started with the Couch to 5K app. It’s amazing. If you have desires to learn to run, I can’t recommend it enough. I feel like I finally started to understand how my body works. Why counting calories worked. What foods were off limits for me. I set realistic goals and celebrated as I met them. I was making leaps towards fitness and then the unthinkable and completely unexpected happened. I got pregnant.
After my daughter, Emilia- she’s 2, was born I knew that there were certain things that would allow me to get back to my goal weight. Running worked. Counting calories worked. Eating lots of veggies worked. I knew what worked, or so I thought. I quickly shed the baby weight and was back to my pre-E-pregnancy weight quickly. I still wasn’t satisfied.
It wasn’t about the number on the scale. It was more about how I felt mentally. How I looked in the mirror. I didn’t, don’t, want to be skinny. I want to be healthy.
Fast forward to December 2014. I’d heard a lot about paleo, and whole 30 and thought that there was no way that I could successfully complete something like that. No dairy? No grains? No gluten? No sugar?!?!? No soy, either? What the heck could I eat then.
December 1st I decided I would do a whole 30. Holidays be damned. I was stronger than sugar cookies, and chocolate chip cookies, and candy canes and…well I mean you kind of get the picture, right? I wasn’t. It’s a horrible time to attempt my first w30. I did like a full 11 or 12 days before my husband’s work holiday party. They had beef wellington, I just ate the beef, none of that wellington. Salad, fresh veggies. I tried so hard to stay true to the plan. To not eat anything ‘bad’ for me and was doing pretty decently. Until dessert. They had coconut cake. My one biggest weakness in life is coconut anything. So I ate it. And I felt SO incredibly nauseous afterwards but did that stop me from a downhill slide right towards batches of sugar cookie dough? Nope.
January 1 I vowed to start again. This time I prepared by reading the entire book, It Starts With Food If you’re considering, even entertaining the idea, of starting or doing a Whole 30, I highly encourage you to read the book. It’s so good. So informative without being overwhelming. Scientific without being boring. It’s a good read and I’m so glad I did read it. It made the w30 seem doable, and worth it. To retrain my body into wanting real and wholesome food vs. manufactured and processed garbage.
Tomorrow I’ll share with you my progress. This is me. This is my journey. I’m trying to be whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment